A Short Day Out with Mum

11:45 PM Edit This
My mum has been doing some voluntary work at different organizations. Last Friday, during her routine trip, I thought I'd tag along and find out more about what she does, and I'm quite free anyway.

We drove to one of the HDB blocks at Aljunied - to a centre "Kampong Senang". The name doesn't really sound like a voluntary organization, it can be easily mistaken to literally be a kampong or just a name of a place to any unknowing person. We walked in through the back door into a huge kitchen, in front of which is a mini cafe - they all serve healthy organic food.

It was later that I found out that one of the activity of this organization is to promote organic food - healthy living & a balanced environment. Part of the organic food which they obtained (in cartons) are to be packed and distributed to needy cancer patients. Well, I think that's quite a nice idea - donating fresh organic food once a week to these patients - I'm sure they will benefit from these vitamin-packed fruits & vege.

So just like my mum's routine every week, she got a list of fruits/vege to pack from the person-in-charge, and we begin to distribute carrots, apples, potatoes and beetroot into smaller packs.

that's my mum opening a huge bag of beetroot for packing.


I've eaten beetroot in its 'food' form, it's this dark reddish-pink colored vege that actually tastes sweet when boiled. And it can be eaten raw too (just like carrots). This is the first time I see beetroot in its original form! haha... so 'mountain-turtle'. =P


Yay! Packs of apples & carrots & beetroot to be distributed to needy people. Although it seemed very laborious to do all these packing, I'm sure my mum do feel some sense of fulfilment knowing that she has indirectly contributed to the process & helping out needy people. Well, I'm proud of her! :)